Crochet Shell Stitch
Go Shell Crazy.
Curious how to crochet shell stitch? Well - I'll tell you all about
it. A shell in crochet is basically just a group of stitches worked
into one base stitch. See the granny square for an example of a 3 stitch shell,
though the granny square stitches are worked into the chain space rather than 1 stitch.
You most often use shells in combination with other crochet stitches
to form a more advanced pattern. Shells are usually made up of 3 or
more longer length stitches, like
double crochet or trebles.
You can also use crochet shell stitch to form a
This is a very pretty way to 'fancy up' a project that might otherwise
look a little plain.
I worked the above sample using
This first option for crochet shell stitch would make a really nice
lacy scarf in a glittery yarn or even a soft alpaca for totally different
Try this pattern shown in the picture above...
- multiples of 4 + 1 chains to
start, ie. 12 + 1 = 13, or 28 + 1 = 29, etc.
- 5 double crochets in same stitch = 1 shell
- 1 shell into 4th chain from hook, *skip 3 chains,
chain 1, 1 shell in next stitch, repeat from * to
end working 1 double crochet into last stitch.
- Chain 3, *1 shell in 3rd double crochet, chain 1, repeat from
* to end working 1 double crochet in turning chain.
- Repeat row 2 as necessary for your project.
This next crochet shell stitch pattern is a little more complex.
- Shell is 5 double crochets worked into 1 stitch as before.
- I also used single crochetfor this pattern option.
- Stitch numbers needed are multiples of 6 + 1, ie. 18 + 1 = 19, or 36 + 1 = 37, etc.
Here goes with these instructions...Chain 25.
- 1 shell into 4th chain from hook, *skip 2 chains, single crochetin next stitch, skip 2 chains, 1 shell in next stitch, repeat from * toend working 1 single crochet into last stitch.
- Chain 4, turn, *single crochet in top of 3rd double crochet, chain 2,skip 2 stitches, double crochet in top of single crochet, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, repeat from * to end working 1 double crochet in top of turning chain.
- Chain 2, turn, 2 double crochet into top of double crochet at base ofturning chain, *skip 2 stitches, single crochet in top of single crochet,skip 2 stitches, 1 shell into top of double crochet, repeat from * to last single crochet, single crochet in last single crochet,skip 2 stitches, 3 double crochets in 3rd chain of turning chain.
- Chain 3, turn, *skip 2 stitches, 1 double crochet in top of single crochet, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, single crochet in top of 3rd double crochet,chain 2,repeat from * to end ending with 1 single crochet intoturning chain.
- Chain 1, turn, *skip 2 stitches, 1 shell in top of double crochet,skip 2 stitches, single crochet in top of single crochet, repeat from * to end.
- Rows 2 - 5 form the pattern repeat. Repeat as necessary for yourproject.
Crochet shell stitch is a very pretty pattern for a lacy throw or afghan. You could easily use it for a scarf and edge it with the scallop edging.
Try a poncho or sweater too if you're a little more adventurous.
Now you can look at a pattern and know what it means to crochetshell stitch. Enjoy your new found skills. What will you crochet next?
Check out the crochet popcorn stitch too.
How about a rope edging for your next project?
Return to Homepage from Crochet Shell Stitch